What is the USDA Commercial Loan Program?
from North Avenue Capital
The USDA Business & Industry (B&I) Loan Program is an asset-based loan program designed to help credit-worthy rural businesses obtain needed credit to grow and create jobs in their local communities. The program bolsters the availability of private credit by guaranteeing loans for businesses in rural areas across the US.
Goal of Program
The USDA helps create jobs and stimulates rural economies by providing financial backing for rural businesses and properties.
Build Business. Grow communities. Strengthen economies.
Businesses That Qualify
What is an Eligible Area?
Business headquarters located in cities/towns with a population of less than 50,000 qualify as Rural America.
Did you know rural America makes up nearly 97% of the land in the US?
*White areas are eligible areas for a USDA B&I Loans. Shaded areas are ineligible areas for USDA B&I Loans
What Sets an NAC USDA Commercial Loan Apart?
NAC is the only specialized commercial lender that exclusively lends USDA B&I Loans nationwide. It's all we do, and we know how to work with the USDA to get the deals to the finish line. We offer competitive interest rates, flexible terms, and high LTVs.
NAC has the opportunity to offer competitive rates negotiated between the borrower and the lender pegged to the Market Prime Rate upon loan close. Rates may be fixed or variable.
Because NAC is a non-traditional, private lender, we have the oppotunity to provide our borrowers with the terms that fit their financial needs.
Collateral (e.g., land or equipment) should be equal to or greater than the loan amount. For example, if you are seeking to borrow $5 million then you should have at least $5 million in the land, equipment, or other fixed assets to securitize the loan against.
Terms & Fees
Maximum Advance Rates
Real Estate: 80% Fair Market Value (FMV)
Equipment: 70% Fair Market Value (FMV)
Inventory: 60% of Book Value (Raw Inventory & Finished Goods Only)
Accounts Recievable: 60% of Book Value (Less than 90 days)
North Avenue Capital (NAC) fully abides by the guidelines and regulations set forth by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) via the Rural Development Program. NAC is registered as a USDA Business & Industry (B&I) Loan nationwide lender.
Maximum Loan Guarantee
80% = Loan amount < $5MM
70% = Loan amount: $5MM-$10MM
60% = Loan amount > $10MM
- Maximum term on machinery & equipment is its useful life or 15 years, whichever is less
- Maximum term for real esteate is 30 years
- Maximum term on working capital not to exceed 7 years
- Loans must be full amortized; balloon payments are not permitted
- Interest-only paryments may be scheduled in the first 3 years
Reasonable & Customary Fees are negotiated between the borrower and lender
Initial guarantee fee that is paid at the time the Loan Note Guarantee is issued
Annual renewal fee on the outstanding balance of the guaranteed portion of the loan that is set by Rural Development at a rate published annually in the Federal Register
Underwriting & Security Requirements
- Proposed operation must have realistic repayment ability
- New enterprises will be asked to obtain a Feasibility Study from a nationally recognized independent source
- The Business & Owners must have a good credit history
- At loan closing/project completion, the business must have a tangible balance sheet equity position of: 10% or more for existing businesses, or 20% or more for new businesses.
- Personal and Corporate Guarantees are normally required from all proprietors, partners (except limited partners), and major shareholders (i.e., all those with a 20% or greater interest)